[vox-tech] Kernel Panic

Robert G. Scofield rscofield at afes.com
Thu Dec 23 17:17:04 PST 2004

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

>Being able to recover from this kind of thing is of prime importance for the
>scenario that a system you depend on gets hosed.

You're right.

>As long as you don't care about the system, take the opportunity to learn
>how to recover.

You're right.

>  At best, you'll get your system back.  At worst, you'll
>learn a little more than you know now.

You're right.

>What exactly do you see when you boot that system?

Grub gives me these options:

1)  SuSE Linux 9.2
2) Windows
3) Floppy
4) SuSE Linux 9.2 (Failsafe)
5)  Memory Test

Options (1) and (4) lead to the same kernel panic error message I
mentioned earlier.

Option (3) won't help as I haven't made a boot floppy yet.

The SuSE installation CD gives me an option for an automatic repair.
But that doesn't work.

The SuSE installation CD give me a "rescue" option.  When I log in I get
a prompt.  But there's not much I can do with the prompt.  I can't find
anything.  There seems to be a massive root directory with nothing
there.  My notes on mounting don't have anything on mounting
partitions.  For example this doesn't work  "mount /dev/hdb2"

I'd at least like to get to my home directory and read a file I have
that contains my old mount points for each partition.  But I'm not going
anywhere with the rescue prompt.

Also, Rod Roark has a duplicate of the original install.  But GRUB does
not recognize it.  In other words, I have my "working" system, and a
duplicate install on /dev/hdb2 and /dev/hdb3, but I'm not sure which is
which.  I could figure it out if I could read that file in my home
directory.  But then I don't know enough about GRUB to figure out how to
add the duplicate to the boot menu.  One of my projects was to read
SuSE help about GRUB configuration, but I didn't get around to it in time.

Thanks.

Bob