[vox-tech] make oldconfig - copying old values

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Wed Dec 22 10:36:03 PST 2004

I haven't really been able to keep up with developments in kernel 2.6.  I'm
wondering -- has the behavior of "make oldconfig" changed?

I have a working 2.6.7 and a panic-ing 2.6.8.  When I went to build the 2.6.8
kernel, I did what I always do:

   cp linux-2.6.7/.config linux-2.6.8/.oldconfig
   cd linux-2.6.8
   make oldconfig

I've gone over it many times, but 2.6.8 keeps panic-ing because it can't
mount the root filesystem.  Gave up last night.  Returned to it today and
started to look at it again.

It appears that there's at least two items that were set in 2.6.7 that
weren't set in 2.6.8:

   Silicon Image chipset support
   VIA82CXXX chipset support

which could explain why the root filesystem couldn't be mounted (I'm
recompiling right now).

I'm surprised that these two values got lost in the "make oldconfig" process.
Does anyone know if the oldconfig process has changed in the 2.4 -> 2.6
transition?

Pete

PS- Argh.  Still a kernel panic.  This is frustrating!  At this point, I
better go through the entire config file...  :-<