[vox-tech] New Account Can't Access Windows Partition

Shwaine shwaine at shwaine.com
Sun Dec 19 23:54:11 PST 2004

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 11:17:42PM -0800, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
>> On Sunday 19 December 2004 23:00, Bill Kendrick wrote:
>>>

>>> I think because it's a mount point, you can't really affect its
>>> permissions. Can you remind us what the exact fstab entry was that you
>>> used?
>>
>> Yes, thank you Bill.  Here's the Ken Bloom creation:
>>
>> /dev/hda1            /mnt/windows         vfat
>> defaults,uid=1000,fmask=177,dmask=077
>>
>> Remember, I don't know what any of this means after the "vfat" entry.
>
> Ah, here we go.  "uid" would be the 'user id' for who 'owns' this
> mounted drive.  In this case, I'm guessing "bob"'s uid is 1000. :^)
>
> The 'fmask' and 'dmask' are no doubt octal masks that set the permissions
> of files and directories (respectively) once the drive is mounted.
>
> Try removing "uid=1000" and replace it with simply "user", and see if
> the new account can mount the drive themselves, and if so, if they can
> read and write to it...

Marking it as "user" would just allow the user to mount it manually. It
would not affect the permissions that are being applied when the partition
is mounted automatically at boot time.

Adding a gid=<insert desired group here> and modifing the masks to allow
group read/write access would allow all users in that group to access the
drive. I would suggest making a special group for writing to the Windows
drive and adding the desired users to that group.