[vox-tech] New Account Can't Access Windows Partition

Robert G. Scofield rscofield at afes.com
Sun Dec 19 22:39:18 PST 2004

Recently I asked for help here because I couldn't write from Linux to my
Windows partition.  After some helpful responses I blindly copied Ken Bloom's
fstab entry into my fstab, and I could write to Windows.

At that time, however, I had just one Linux account, "bob."  So someone logged
into bob could write to Windows.  Since then I've added a new account,
"research."  When I log into research I have no access to the Windows
partition whatsoever.  I can't even read it, much less write to it.

Here are the permissions for the mount point /mnt/windows:

drwx------  10 bob  root 16384 1969-12-31 16:00 windows

So I decided to use chmod to give read and write access to others.  But chmod
doesn't work on /mnt/windows.  If I bungle the chmod command, I get an error
message.  But if I issue a correct command like "chmod g+x windows" I
immediately return to the UNIX prompt just as if the command was properly
executed.  But the permissions do not change.

So can anybody tell me how to get read and write permission for the new
account on the Windows partition.? For what it's worth, Windows is on another
hard drive, but I don't think that has anything to do with the problem.

Thank you.

Bob