[vox-tech] Xterm and terminal types

Ken Bloom kabloom at ucdavis.edu
Sun Dec 12 15:19:42 PST 2004

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 12:30:14 -0800
Rod Roark <rod at sunsetsystems.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 12 December 2004 10:51 am, Ken Bloom wrote:
> > On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 08:46:42 -0800
> > Rod Roark <rod at sunsetsystems.com> wrote:

> > > Thanks Ken.  It will be a few days before I can try anything,
> > > but it appears I can build VTE with the configure option
> > > "--with-default-emulation=scoansi".  Perhaps that would be
> > > sufficient, since grepping the gnome-terminal source for
> > > "vte_terminal_set_emulation" yields no matches.
> >
> > I haven't gotten this to work (ls spits out random junk, clear
> > complains that it doesn't know what an scoansi termianl is, vim
> > looks strange, and also complains that it doesn't know what an
> > scoansi is), but is it possible you want code like this?
>
> Yeah I think so.  The idea is to bring up the terminal app
> and then immediately telnet or ssh into the sco box.  Then
> the sco apps will spit out scoansi doodoo and the hacked-up
> gnome-terminal will hopefully understand it.
>
> So assuming you are not connecting to an sco machine, what
> you are describing is exactly what I'd expect.

Well, I should be able to configure my applications locally here to be
able to speak to such a terminal.

Here's the deal with termcaps and terminfos:

in Debian, the termcap information is found in the termcap-compat
package, which includes the termcap file - basically a monolithic file
full of termcap entries. Nothing in debian depends on termcap - they all
use terminfo.

in Debian, a few of the basic terminfo entries are found in
ncurses-base, and the rest (including scoansi) are found in ncurses-term

When I first tested this patch, I didn't have ncurses-term installed.
Now that I installed ncurses-term, things still don't look right, but
they didn't look right in this terminal after I ran
$ export TERM=xterm
either, so I assume it's trying to emulate scoansi now rather than
xterm. But this is the YMMV part of the experiment. Let us know how it
goes.

> > Note that you'll want to install the appropriate package
> > containing a termcap file. Debian doesn't install one unless
> > something depends on it.
>
> Probably I'll install Fedora Core 3 which does install a
> /etc/termcap with scoansi stuff included.  I assume that is
> what you mean?
>
> > --- gnome-terminal-orig/src/terminal-screen.c 2004-12-12
> > 10:24:57.000000000 -0800+++
> > gnome-terminal-2.8.0/src/terminal-screen.c  2004-12-12
> > 10:43:49.000000000 -0800@@ -1069,7 +1069,7 @@
> >
> >    retval[i] = g_strdup ("COLORTERM="EXECUTABLE_NAME);
> >    ++i;
> > -  retval[i] = g_strdup ("TERM=xterm"); /* FIXME configurable later?
> > */+  retval[i] = g_strdup ("TERM=scoansi"); /* FIXME configurable
> > later? */
> >    ++i;
> >    retval[i] = g_strdup_printf ("WINDOWID=%ld",
> >                                 GDK_WINDOW_XWINDOW (term->window));
> > diff -uNr gnome-terminal-orig/src/terminal-widget-vte.c
> > gnome-terminal-2.8.0/src/terminal-widget-vte.c---
> > gnome-terminal-orig/src/terminal-widget-vte.c 2004-12-12
> > 10:24:57.000000000 -0800+++
> > gnome-terminal-2.8.0/src/terminal-widget-vte.c      2004-12-12
> > 10:43:49.000000000 -0800@@ -64,6 +64,7 @@
> >    terminal = vte_terminal_new ();
> >
> >    vte_terminal_set_mouse_autohide(VTE_TERMINAL(terminal), TRUE);
> > +  vte_terminal_set_emulation(VTE_TERMINAL(terminal), "scoansi");
> >
> >    data = g_new0 (VteData, 1);
>
> Are these patches that you applied, or did they come from
> "./configure --with-default-emulation=scoansi"?

This is a patch file generated from manual changes I made directly to
debian sid's current gnome-terminal sources.