[vox-tech] Xterm and terminal types

Shwaine shwaine at shwaine.com
Fri Dec 10 15:54:40 PST 2004

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Rod Roark wrote:

> So, the good news is that my sister, an MD in Tennessee,
> wants me to switch most of the computers in her clinic from
> Windows to Linux.
>
> They have a practice management system running on an SCO
> server (yeah, I know...) and it seems the clients currently
> connect to it via telnet with a Windows terminal emulation
> program.  I'm told by the vendor that the terminal program
> needs to support "SCO ANSI" as the terminal type.
>
> The upgraded clients will run KDE, so the obvious terminal
> program is Konsole; I think it works a lot like xterm and
> may even be based on it.
>
> Anyway, I don't really understand all the nuances of termcap,
> terminfo, setterm, stty, etc. and what, if anything I might
> need to do to make the terminal emulation work properly.
> I did some googling but it was not very helpful.
>
> Does anyone understand this stuff enough to enlighten me?
>

>From my experiences (which was over 5 years ago), getting fully compliant
client programs that can successfully interpret all of SCO's stuff is
rather dicey. I can't remember what I did for Linux (or if I even got it
working on Linux or not) since it was so long ago. I do remember several
weeks of trying to access FoxPro for SCO to only get a mess on screen
(that program had a curses-like gui interface, so it really tested the
limits of compatability). I also remember that only one Windows program
was able to access it correctly, although I don't remember which, and that
using ANSI terminals did not work. So for everyone that thinks SCO ANSI is
just an extension of ANSI, I can tell you from experience that it's a very
BIG extension such that you should not expect an ANSI terminal to get you
much beyond the basic command line.

I would suggest that you take a laptop or test machine to your sister's
now (if possible) and test out all the ideas offered here on their
particular application. Even terminals which claim to support SCO ANSI
might not for their program, depending on how well it supports SCO ANSI.
My general thought is if it's still tied to SCO even now, that it probably
does make extensive use of SCO specific extensions, otherwise it probably
would have been ported to another *nix long ago, so you need something
which is almost flawless in emulation. You might want to ask your sister
why they only use the one Windows program and if it's because others
didn't work, then that's another point in evidence that you'll need a
terminal which fully supports SCO ANSI.

Good luck, try not to pull out your hair (although that would be a common
response to having to deal with a SCO server).