[vox-tech] NFS Mounting Error

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Sat Dec 4 10:53:19 PST 2004

On Sat 04 Dec 04, 10:44 AM, Chris Jenks <jenks at resonance.org> said:

>   Hello,
>
>   I am trying to mount a NFS volume where both machines are on the same
> home network, but I get the following errors. From the client:
>
> [root at pinky mnt]# mount -t nfs 192.168.0.14:/tmp /mnt/tmp
> mount: 192.168.0.14:/tmp failed, reason given by server: Permission denied
>
> On the server:
>
> cruncher:/# tail /var/log/syslog
> [...]
> Dec  4 10:30:31 cruncher rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from
> 192.168.0.2:773 for /tmp (/tmp)
> Dec  4 10:30:31 cruncher rpc.mountd: getfh failed: No such device
>
> I haven't been able to find a single report of this type of syslog error.
> The server has a custom kernel, version 2.6.8, with the NFS server as a
> loadable module, and runs debian testing. Two different clients, with
> different kernels and different distros, gave the same error. Exports
> looks like:
>
> cruncher:/# more /etc/exports
> # /etc/exports: the access control list for filesystems which may be
> exported
> #               to NFS clients.  See exports(5).
> /var/cache/apt/archives 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(ro)
> /tmp 192.168.0.2(sync,no_root_squash)
>
> but exportfs -ra gives:
>
> cruncher:/# exportfs -ra
> exportfs: /etc/exports [3]: No 'sync' or 'async' option specified for
> export "192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0:/var/cache/apt/archives".
>   Assuming default behaviour ('sync').
>   NOTE: this default has changed from previous versions
> 192.168.0.2:/var/cache/apt/archives: No such device
> 192.168.0.2:/tmp: No such device
>
> Restarting portmap, rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd, rpc.statd and rpc.lockd don't
> correct the error. rpcinfo gives:
>
> cruncher:/# rpcinfo -p
>    program vers proto   port
>     100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
>     100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
>     100005    1   udp    820  mountd
>     100005    1   tcp    823  mountd
>     100005    2   udp    820  mountd
>     100005    2   tcp    823  mountd
>     100005    3   udp    820  mountd
>     100005    3   tcp    823  mountd
>     100024    1   udp    826  status
>     100024    1   tcp    829  status
>
> I don't know why nfsd doesn't show up. nfs-common and nfs-kernel-server
> are both installed on the server. Any ideas or suggestions would be most
> welcome.
>
>   Thanks,
>
>     Chris

Chris, if massive log file reading and Googling didn't turn up anything
useful, what I would try as a second stab would be to run nfsd by hand with
strace:

# strace -o /root/nfsd.log rpc.nfsd

and look for something that looks like an error near the bottom of the file.
It may not tell you anything useful, but often time strace will tell you the
real, "low level" reason why something failed, which can sometimes be very
useful.

Pete