[vox-tech] removal of postgresql

Nick Schmalenberger nschmalenberger at fastmail.fm
Wed Aug 25 19:34:00 PDT 2004

Thanks Kevin for telling me about dpkg -S . When I run it, it lists:
"
postgresql: /etc/cron.d/postgresql
postgresql-client: /etc/postgresql/postgresql.env
postgresql: /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf
postgresql: /etc/init.d/postgresql
postgresql-contrib: /etc/logrotate.d/postgresql-contrib
postgresql: /etc/logrotate.d/postgresql
postgresql: /etc/logcheck/ignore.d.paranoid/postgresql
postgresql-client: /usr/share/doc/postgresql-client
postgresql: /etc/logcheck/violations.ignore.d/logcheck-postgresql
postgresql: /etc/logcheck/ignore.d.server/postgresql
postgresql: /etc/logcheck/ignore.d.workstation/postgresql
postgresql: /etc/postgresql
postgresql: /etc/postgresql/pg_ident.conf
". It used to list a lot more, like docs, but I did apt-get remove on
their associated packages. When I did "apt-get remove postgresql-doc" it
said it couldn't remove /usr/share/doc/postgresql because it wasn't
empty. I don't see why that should be a problem for apt-get, but
/usr/share/doc/postgresql and /usr/share/doc/postgresql-client are still
there. But now package postgresql-doc seems removed from the dpkg
listing. The above listed files are all that dpkg lists matched against
"postgresql", so I suppose there could be more in files that don't have
"postgresql" in their pathname. I did "apt-get remove" on each of the
packages listed above, and apt-get said they were not installed. I tried
deleting a few by hand, especially the cron one because it was harassing
me, but it is still listed by dpkg. Is the apt-get/dpkg contradiction a
real bug? Do you think I should just try installing from source? Thanks.
Nick