[vox-tech] debian woody to sarge upgrade = dead xserver

Ashleigh Smythe absmythe at ucdavis.edu
Wed Aug 25 09:51:03 PDT 2004

Kevin Murakoshi wrote:

>On a weird hunch what if you use "xinit" to start X instead of
>"startx"? Maybe your window manager is fucking up....
>
>--kevin (i'll fix this, if it's the last thing i dooooo!!!)

Sorry Kevin, the hunch didn't work - I get the same error.  I
appreciate your valiant efforts though!  One thing that is making me
think I should do a clean sarge install is that when I do dpkg -l,
there are loads of woody stuff still on my system - even lots of
woody X stuff - why wouldn't those have been upgraded to sarge?
Could it be that my upgrade was not as successful as I think and I
have a mixed installation?  I can't really think of any reason not to
just do a clean install - I have the CD's so it should be pretty
easy.  I guess that wouldn't uncover the reason why the upgrade
didn't work, but frankly my dissertation has to be finished by
December and I need a working system ASAP.

I haven't tried the closed source nvidia drivers yet so maybe I
should try that before an install.

Anyway, if anybody has any further ideas before I resort to a fresh
install  I'll try anything!

Thanks!

Ashleigh