[vox-tech] debian woody to sarge upgrade = dead xserver

R. Douglas Barbieri doug at dooglio.net
Tue Aug 24 18:40:48 PDT 2004

Ashleigh,

I had a similar problem with my laptop. I have an "Nvidia GeForce4 440
Go 64M" with an AMD64 chip (technically, it's an HP Pavilion zv5000
laptop). I was running Debian Sarge with a 2.4.26 kernel for a good deal
of time, with X running like a champ. A little while ago I did an
"apt-get upgrade", and suddenly X stopped working.

Of course, I was not using the nv driver--rather I am currently using
the Nvidia drivers in Debian (in the XF86Config-4 file, you put "nvidia"
instead of "nv"). I could not for the life of me figure out why I
couldn't get X to run. On a whim, I decided to turn off devfs support
and voila, X started working again...

So, my questions to you are, 1) are you using the nvidia drivers and 2)
if so, are you running with devfs turned on? If so, you might want to
turn off devfs just to see if you still have the same problems.

PS: I even had devfs mounting in a different directory than /dev
(/devfs, kinda like what Mandrake does). This still caused the nvidia
driver to be unhappy. AND the /dev/nvidia* entries were properly
created. Under 2.4.26, the latest Nvidia drivers just don't like devfs
for some reason.

Doug Barbieri