[vox-tech] a few pre-install questions

mrp mrp at sonic.net
Tue Aug 24 17:42:29 PDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 05:25:01PM -0700, Bill Broadley wrote:
> Are the dual-g5's lower power per performance than other available
> options?  If so why does Apple resort to exotic cooling technologies
> (water cooling, 4 seperate airflows, dozen temp sensors, etc).

Cooling/monitoring are needed for peak rather than average consumption.
I think the real effceincy of the PPC arch is when the processor is
mostly idle, and this is most of the time is a typical interactive OS.
I think this is why apple laptops have battery life of between 5 and 8
hours, rather than the 2-3 hours typical for x86 arch processors.  But
play a FPS and that aluminum case gets uncomfortably warm for true
lap-top use.

  -- Mitch