[vox-tech] debian woody to sarge upgrade = dead xserver

Ashleigh Smythe absmythe at ucdavis.edu
Tue Aug 24 15:03:37 PDT 2004

Hi ya'll.  Well I was finding packages a bit outdated with woody so I
thought I'd upgrade my home desktop (Dell Dimension 2400 Pentium 4,
2.66 GHz) to sarge.  I followed Rick Moen's directions for upgrading
potato to woody:

http://www.linuxgazette.com/book/view/686

but I of course modified it for woody to sarge and for using CD's
(had downloaded iso's of sarge).  So I did the following:

1.  	I had my sources.list like this:
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian woody main non-free contrib
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org woody/updates main contrib non-free

2.	#apt-get update
	#apt-get dist-upgrade

3.    	I commented out all the deb lines in my sources.list, and
then ran apt-cdrom add for the first 7 of the sarge cd's.  I checked
my sources.list and it was updated fine for each cd.

4.	#apt-get update
	#apt-get dist-upgrade

This all seemed to go fine, but upon reboot, startx aborts completely
and falls back to the command prompt.  There is a long log in
/var/log/XFree86.0.log with the errors near the end being:

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server
":0:0" after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

I'm sorry I can't post the whole thing, I don't have a zip drive on
my lap top that I'm emailing on right now so the error message is
stuck on the desktop (no X, no email).  I probably can later tonight
if it seems necessary.  I've been doing dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xfree86 (the XFree86 package is 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4) and looking
at my XF86Config-4 file and the settings seem to be as they was
before in woody when X was working - I'm using the nv driver which
worked with my nvidia geforce2 video card.   I've also tried not
installing the modules that are listed in dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xfree86 - like dri and glx but that didn't seem to change
anything.   One strange thing is that I'm certain there was an option
about not using framebuffers that I needed to use to get X to work
with woody, but now I don't see it in the xfree86 reconfigure tool or
in my XF86Config-4 file - I could be confused about where that was
though.

Any suggestions?  I've been googling for several hours but I think
that error message is pretty generic as people seem to be seeing it
for all kinds of things - mice, keyboards, wrong video cards.

Thanks for any help.

Ashleigh

Ashleigh B. Smythe
Graduate Research Assistant