[vox-tech] Firefox - Web driving me batty

R. Douglas Barbieri doug at dooglio.net
Tue Aug 24 11:14:31 PDT 2004

Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 10:28:49AM -0700, Ken Herron wrote:
>
>>(1) The browser used by probably 90% of all web surfers doesn't support
>>tabs, or even something like middle-click to open in a new window.
>

> Wow, sucks to be them. :)

It's also just plainly foolish to use Internet Explorer, unless you like
remote sites installing tons of adware junk on your computer without
your permission. I can give an example: a co-worker and I were talking
about who wrote a particluar song. He did a quick google for the name,
then clicked on the first link, which boasted the lyrics to the song. He
clicked on the link, and we were both looking at the page. Suddenly the
browser window maxmized, the window decorations disappeared (even the
task bar) and pop-up messages were asking if the user was sure he wanted
to install "1800adware", "adblocker" and a bunch of other stuff I lost
track of. Even when my coworker declined, it kept popping up the same
installation questions over and over again. He finally managed to kill
the setup junk (by hard resetting his machine), but it was too late. On
reboot we found several icons on his desktop, several new "Program
Files" folders and loads of "Run" key registry entries. It took him the
rest of the day to purge that junk off his system.

I turned to him and said, "repeat after me--I will *not* use Internet
Explorer to surf the web." And he reluctanly repeated it. I got him to
install Firefox and he's happy now.

So, it *really* sucks to be them. :-)

--
R. Douglas Barbieri