[vox-tech] Firefox - Web driving me batty

Ken Herron kherron+lugod at fmailbox.com
Mon Aug 23 09:19:49 PDT 2004

--On Monday, August 23, 2004 08:09:52 AM -0400 Peter Jay Salzman

> where the text in quotes is a link to the article I want to read.  If
> you click the link in Firefox, a new browser window pops up with the
> HTML source of the page in question.  In other words, it doesn't render
> the HTML -- it displays the HTML.
>
> A similar thing happens in Opera.  An xterm pops up with the HTML
> source code when I try to follow the link to the article.

The simplest explanation is that for some reason you received the page
with a mime type of text/plain instead of text/html. The link works
correctly for me, so maybe they fixed it since you posted, or maybe it
has something to do with this proxy you referred to.

> Also, Firefox seems to open the page of HTML source in a new browser
> window. Aside from the fact that I want it to render the source, I'd
> also like it to use another tab within the same window, as opposed to a
> completely new browser window.

The link in question isn't a normal href; it launches some javascript
which explicitly opens the document in a new window. FF doesn't yet have
a feature to convert windows opened from javascript into tabs,
unfortunately.

--
Ken Herron