[vox-tech] Re: my new kernel won't install

Henry House hajhouse at houseag.com
Sun Aug 22 22:08:52 PDT 2004

På söndag, 22 augusti 2004, skrev Nick Schmalenberger:
> list,
> Thank you for responding and explaining to me how LILO doesn't support
> filesystems and uses hardcoded (CHS, LBA?) addresses for things.
> However, I've got to stop asking questions that are peripheral to my
> problem. My problem is that my new kernel won't even be installed, which
> I assume "make install" is supposed to do. As part of "ls -l /" says: "
> lrwxr-xr-x   1 root root       13 Jul 23 01:16 vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.6.7
> -rw-r--r--   1 root root   974333 Jun 15 04:14 vmlinuz-2.4.18
> -rw-r--r--   1 root root  1613594 Jul 23 01:16 vmlinuz-2.6.7
> -rw-r--r--   1 root root  1613594 Jul 23 01:14 vmlinuz-2.6.7.old
> lrwxr-xr-x   1 root root       17 Jul 23 01:16 vmlinuz.old ->
> vmlinuz-2.6.7.old
> "
> As you can see, my kernel image is dated July 23. I have done "make
> install" lots of times since then, with no effect. I got a new set of
> kernel sources last week, 2.6.8.1, and they compile okay, but as you can
> see the new image is not installed. What should I do? Thanks.
> Nick

The kernel image will be in <kernel source directory>/arch/i386/boot/bzImage
(from memory --- I hope that is correct). I don't use 'make install', only
'make bzImage' and 'make modules_install'. Then copy the bzImage file to
/boot and update the /vmlinuz symlink if desired.

As someone else has already pointed out, kernel-package is the best way to
manage kernels on Debian. It will do all this stuff for you and manage
updating lilo, assuming that you have not incompatibly customized your
lilo.conf file.

--
Henry House