[vox-tech] Re: my new kernel won't install

Nick Schmalenberger nschmalenberger at fastmail.fm
Sun Aug 22 16:29:34 PDT 2004

list,
Thank you for responding and explaining to me how LILO doesn't support
filesystems and uses hardcoded (CHS, LBA?) addresses for things.
However, I've got to stop asking questions that are peripheral to my
problem. My problem is that my new kernel won't even be installed, which
I assume "make install" is supposed to do. As part of "ls -l /" says: "
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root root       13 Jul 23 01:16 vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.6.7
-rw-r--r--   1 root root   974333 Jun 15 04:14 vmlinuz-2.4.18
-rw-r--r--   1 root root  1613594 Jul 23 01:16 vmlinuz-2.6.7
-rw-r--r--   1 root root  1613594 Jul 23 01:14 vmlinuz-2.6.7.old
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root root       17 Jul 23 01:16 vmlinuz.old ->
vmlinuz-2.6.7.old
"
As you can see, my kernel image is dated July 23. I have done "make
install" lots of times since then, with no effect. I got a new set of
kernel sources last week, 2.6.8.1, and they compile okay, but as you can
see the new image is not installed. What should I do? Thanks.
Nick
P.S. [OT] Again, and this isn't even peripheral but I really want to
know, did anybody read my post on vox last Sunday? Also, Ken Bloom told
me I shouldn't have more than one problem per message, but there are
five or seven weird little problems with my system that bother me. After
I get this kernel problem solved, would it be bad list etiquette for me
to post some or all of these weird little problems in one message?
Thanks.