[vox-tech] X, other

Ken Bloom kabloom at ucdavis.edu
Mon Aug 16 08:38:50 PDT 2004

On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 02:03:26PM -0700, Nick Schmalenberger wrote:
> list,
> I'm now back again, and I will repost what I posted on 2004-08-07. Also,
> sometimes I wish for a hex editor. Since emacs is supposed to do lots of
> stuff, will emacs do this? If so, that is one more reason for me to
> learn emacs. Between emacs and nvi I hope to be able to take care of all
> editing needs. Currently I use mostly nvi, but I don't like how it does
> hard linefeeds for line wrapping. Anyway:
> I decided to try something with my XF86Config-4. I
> changed the driver from vesa to neomagic. Now, the darkness switching
> problem seems to have gone away. I don't think this is related to the
> framebuffer because the darkness problem was happening before I started
> fiddling with framebuffers. However, the scroll-too-far problem is still
> present, and maybe it is worse. The manpage for neomagic has some
> options, so maybe I could improve things by tweaking them. The defaults
> seem pretty good though, such as with acceleration on by default.
>
> About the modules, I tried recompiling my kernel with a modular floppy
> driver. I did make, make install, then make modules_install. When I did
> make modules_install, it said it put the floppy module off of
> /lib/modules/ and when I looked, they were in
> /lib/modules/2.6.7/kernel/drivers/block/ . So that seems okay, I guess.
> However, I tried copying a file from floppy and while it was copying
> doing an lsmod from a different virtual console. That showed no floppy
> module. When I do "cat /proc/config.gz | gunzip | less" it says I do
> have a modular kernel but the floppy driver is just y, not m. The file
> did copy despite no floppy module, so it must be compiled into the
> kernel, which is consistent with my /proc/config.gz saying y for the
> floppy driver. I know I said m when I did the configuration. Also, when
> I tried to use the script that comes with the kernel source that
> extracts the configuration from the kernel, by saying
> "./extract-ikconfig /vmlinuz", it says:
> "ERROR: Unable to extract kernel configuration information.
>         This kernel image may not have the config info.".
> However, /proc/config.gz says:
> "CONFIG_IKCONFIG=y
> CONFIG_IKCONFIG_PROC=y".
> So I deleted the whole kernel source tree and re-extracted the tarball.
> Then I recompiled and installed, again with modular floppy and a few
> other things. But /proc/config.gz still said I didn't have a modular
> kernel. So I thought maybe I do have the new kernel except just no
> modules. But I know that is not true because I made a non-modular change
> to the kernel and that didn't show up in /proc/config.gz either. I said
> y for a SCSI controller I know I don't have. I then recompiled and
> reinstalled that kernel, and make install did invoke lilo. Then I
> rebooted and /proc/config.gz said "# CONFIG_SCSI_AIC7XXX is not set"
> which I know is the line I said y, not m or n, for. So I guess somehow
> the newly configured kernel is not being installed.

Which bootloader are you using?
If it's LILO then...
   did you remember to update /etc/lilo.conf (if necessary)?
   did you remember to rerun /sbin/lilo?
If it's GRUB then...
   did you remember to update /boot/grub/menu.lst?

> I googled on the
> error message from that script and all that turned up was copies of that
> script. So I don't know what to do about that.
>
> Two other weird problems I'm having are that if I try to "make
> menuconfig" on my kernel sources, it says "Unable to find the Ncurses
> libraries". However I can successfully run various programs that ldd
> tells me use ncurses, like vi and tetris-bsd. So how do I fix that? The
> other weird problem is with the clock, which is set to UTC. When I got
> back from Minnesota, the clock was a day and some hours behind. I
> figured this was because of the computer relying on a screwy old clock
> battery for a week and a half and I reset the clock to UTC. I thought
> before that the computer knew that my timezone is PDT and so would
> compensate against the UTC that the system clock gives. However, now
> that the system clock is agains set to UTC, date (without the u switch)
> says UTC time, but PDT where it says the timezone. When I do "date -u"
> it says seven hours ahead of what UTC really is and what my system clock
> says. So how do I let the system know that the clock is set to UTC and
> not local time? Thanks very much.

You need the ncurses development package that includes the header
files to compile against ncurses.