[vox-tech] Debian Unstable - apt strangeness

David Hummel dhml at comcast.net
Sat Aug 14 08:21:54 PDT 2004

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 08:55:39PM +0000, Matt Roper wrote:

> Maybe the apt info in your dpkg database is from back when you first
> installed.  If this is the case, the actual package versions listed
> for your uninstalled packages are probably way out of date.

Examining this further, it appears this is not the case.  The package
versions in /var/lib/dpkg/available are synchronized with those in
/var/lib/apt/lists/*Packages.

> I know that apt-get by itself won't touch /var/lib/dpkg/available, but
> I'm not sure what other tools will.  It's not very well documented in
> the manpages.

Since I hadn't yet installed strace, I apt-get install'ed it, and
/var/lib/dpkg/available was touched.  I'm not sure if it was modified
though.  Is it possible that apt-get is maintaining this file?

-David