[vox-tech] eth0 troubles

Paul paulb at claypits.com
Thu Aug 12 18:01:58 PDT 2004

Rod Roark wrote:
> On Thursday 12 August 2004 03:04 pm, Karalius, Joseph wrote:
>
>>A 'close' visual inspection of the terminals and ports did not reveal any
>>bent or broken pins.
>

> Then I would guess the adapter or its connector is broken
> internally.  The lack of any LED activity seems pretty
> conclusive to me.  Perhaps you can plug in a PCI NIC?
>
> -- Rod
>    http://www.sunsetsystems.com/
Another $.02 worth.
Because my background is electronics repair, I would have suspected
hardware much earlier. There is a level shifter chip electrically
between the onboard ethernet chips and the outside world that could have
been zapped (static discharge when plugging ethernet cables) that would
have acted just like a bad cable, connector, etc. Plugging in a *known
good* card would (will) eliminate a lot of possible malfunctions.

And now I'm waiting for Joseph to get back from frys. Can Joe fix the
problem and save the world. Wait for the next exciting installment:-)

Paul