[vox-tech] HIGHMEM enabled kernel

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Aug 12 14:17:04 PDT 2004

Quoting Karalius, Joseph (Joseph.Karalius at seminis.com):

> What do I need to do to utilize all 2GB of RAM and why doesn't the Debian
> installer automatically configure the new kernel to use more than 896MB of
> RAM?  It's kind of a bummer to have to do that kind of reconfiguration on a
> fresh install.

1.  There is more than one Debian installer.  Depending on what you
consider to qualify, one might say there are dozens.  See:
"Installers" on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Debian/

2.  The installer used by Official Debian 3.0 (woody) images doesn't
actually pick a kernel for you.  If you look at the output of "dpkg -l",
you'll note that there are _zero_ kernel packages installed by default.
(That should tell you something.  ;->  )

If you haven't bothered to select (e.g., using "aptitude") and install a
kernel binary package from the many available, then the system lets you
limp along on a copy of the installer's own kernel, by default.

The people who wrote that installer apparently didn't realise that their
intent -- that the admin subsequently select an _appropriate_ kernel
from the large array of precompiled images provided -- wouldn't be
obvious.  This oversight is reportly being fixed in the (late beta)
replacement installer being tested for Debian "sarge".