[vox-tech] [OT] Codebase forks (was The AFPL)

Micah J. Cowan micah at cowan.name
Wed Aug 11 14:00:17 PDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 01:08:14PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Two and 3/4 cheers for the right to fork!

I always thought it odd that so many companies thinking about
embracing open source software seemed for some reason to be scared to
death of forks. What the hell is wrong with code forks? They are
always a good thing, encouraging free market and the consumer's right
to choice. Unless, of course, you selfishly wish to maintain control
over your code and all derivatives thereof, in which case why the hell
would you want it to be "open source" in the first place?

I guess the answer must be "buzzword-compliance"?

--
Micah J. Cowan
micah at cowan.name