[vox-tech] SSH question

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Wed Aug 11 11:44:32 PDT 2004

On Wed 11 Aug 04, 10:06 AM, Matthew Lange <matthewlange at hotmail.com> said:
> I think that is a great idea...really turning the archives into a
> functional knowledge base...which is what I was getting at before...with
> the hyperlink-to-a-definition in the email archives.

I think what everyone is saying is that we already have a functional
database.  It's called Google.

Converting our mailing lists is a bad idea.  Stuff changes all the time.
Much of what mailing list archives have become less and less useful as
time goes on.  They're static snapshots of what technology is like at
the time.

Google is dynamic.  And it is already hyperlinked.  And you can get up
to date info off it.  You really couldn't ask for a better functional
knowledge base.

In addition, we've got a pretty damn good group of people here.  People
like Rod and Mark and Jeff and Micah and Rick and Matt and many others
are supremely valuable resources.

But with Google, you have the resources of the rest of the planet Earth.
Not even Jeff Newmiller can compete against THAT knowledge base.  :)

> Hmmmn...now to find the time/energy

That's always the rub!

Pete