[vox-tech] [OT] The AFPL (was: some PDF problems: screen and print rendering do not match)

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Aug 11 11:09:54 PDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 01:47:50PM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> Theo de Raadt would probably say that the GPL has freedom issues.  Some
> might say that requiring a business to release modifications it made to
> software it's distributing is tantamount to restricting commercial
> usage.  Very few companies want to do that, and there are certainly
> licenses out that that don't require them to.

Well, the argument here is:  "do you want it for free? play by these rules...
you don't want to play by these rules?  pay us, or someone else, for
something differently-licensed."

This is where the Linux-on-cellphone people are coming from, I think.
"We can pay Microsoft $$$ for something we have less control over,
or pay $0 to get something that works, and we have better, control over.
The only 'payment' we need to make is to give back to the community."