[vox-tech] eth0 troubles

Karalius, Joseph Joseph.Karalius at seminis.com
Wed Aug 11 11:12:31 PDT 2004

p at dirac.org:
> On Tue 10 Aug 04,  4:52 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> said:
> > Quoting Karalius, Joseph (Joseph.Karalius at seminis.com):
> >
> > > The lights don't come on the onboard gigE port of an
> Optiplex GX270 when a
> > > tested cable is plugged into a tested port. Intel 82540EM
> rev02 chipset.
> >
> > Two ideas:
> >
> > 1.  Your running kernel may not recognise what PCI device this is,
> > because its PCI ID string may not be in your /usr/share/misc/pci.ids
> > file.  Good news:  You can always snarf the latest version
> of that file
> > from http://pciids.sf.net/ .  (I describe this in my laptop
> write-up,
> > http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/inspiron7000.html .)
> >
> > 2.  Try a 2.6 kernel.  You mentioned Knoppix:  In 3.4
> Knoppix releases,
> > you can boot a "knoppix26" kernel image at the lilo prompt,
> instead of
> > the default 2.4 kernel image.
> >
> > If that doesn't work, it might indeed be defective.  You
> can download
> > diagnostic software for this chipset (for MS-DOS) from
> Intel's Web site.
>
> Isn't it also safe to say that if lspci doesn't see the hardware, the
> hardware is most likley broken?
>
> My understanding is that whether the kernel knows what to do with the
> hardware or not, it should at least see a PCI ID.  Or is that
> incorrect?

The PCI ID is on my /usr/share/misc/pci.ids
lspci correctly lists the hardware, but does lspci do anything else but read
the ID, and then get the name from the above file?  I could change the name
in the pci.ids file to 'Joey's F'd up gigE' and it wouldn't affect the
operation, or lack thereof?  Sure, if lspci doesn't detect the hardware, you
can be assured the hardware is jacked, but successful detection in itself
cannot be considered passing diagnostics, ¿verdad?

I downloaded some diagnostic software that I think is the right one, from
the Intel Download Page
(http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/filter_results.asp?strOSs=All&st
rTypes=DRV&ProductID=983&OSFullName=All+Operating+Systems&submit=Go%21)

This file seems to be the right one according to the description, but the
/Tools directory is missing, which of course is where the diagnostic utility
is supposed to be
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Detail_Desc.asp?agr=Y&ProductID=9
83&DwnldID=4239

I then googled around for DIAG1000, which seems to be the name of the
utility I need and found a couple of versions that I can't be sure of
http://support.buympc.com/apps/filelist.asp?ID=7073  DIAG1000.exe  This
doesn't seem right

Is there a standard tool for diagnosis, or do I need to keep looking for
this one file?

Joey