[vox-tech] SSH question

ME dugan at passwall.com
Tue Aug 10 17:36:42 PDT 2004

Bill Kendrick said:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 05:21:12PM -0700, ME wrote:
>> Yep. It is called google. Go there, and enter the keyword "define:" and
>> then place the term or word right after it. It does a pretty good job of
>> providing defs.
>
> Holy moley.  How did I not know about that!  Time to buy
> "Google: The mIssing Manual"  :)  Hehehe

Oh, google rocks. I am considering revising my original "Introduction: How
do I become a UNIX Professional" to have 4 things to know. (Not a book,
just an informal list of things I tell people they should know.)

1) Know thy shell (bash, tcsh, etc)
2) Know thy editor (vi, emacs, etc.)
3) Know how to use "man"
and then add "4) Know how to use google."

Check this out.

Search for all sites which have links to the defcon home page which are
not from defcon.org but mention defcon:
Google search:
link:http://www.defcon.org/ -site:defcon.org defcon

Yes. The "-site" is a subtraction of all hits that are from the defcon.org
domain. + and - can work for +more +than +just +keywords +and -"groupings
of words"

Other google fu?

Say you want to limit you search to just edu...
site:edu YOUR SEARCH HERE

Why? site matches from right to left for names.

For more info:
http://www.google.com/help/refinesearch.html

> <snip>
>> Also, consider this:
>> This list is primarily TEXT only, and HTML is frowned upon. Adding URL
>> as
>> embedded data within a message would cause the message to get cluttered.
>
> Maybe I just assumed, but I was thinking at the archive-level, not the
> 'messages to everyone's inbox' level.

Well, in the archives might not be as bad.