[vox-tech] grub questions - FIXED!!!

Bryan Richter btrichter at ucdavis.edu
Tue Aug 10 13:30:58 PDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 01:40:58PM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> 1. Windows indeed wants to be the first drive (hd0).

>       title    Windows NT/2000/XP
>       map (hd0) (hd1)
>       map (hd1) (hd0)
>       rootnoverify (hd1,0)
>       savedefault
>       makeactive
>       chainloader +1
>
>    or by:
>
>       title   WinXP 0x80<->0x81+hd1
>       map (0x81) (0x80)
>       map (0x80) (0x81)
>       rootnoverify (hd1,0)
>       makeactive
>       chainloader +1
>

> 6c1. Another way is to:
> 6c2. Put Grub on the MBR of the Win2k SATA drive.
> 6c3. Have BIOS boot SATA first.
> 6c4. And use the Grub stanzas above, without using the map command since
>    Win2k will already be the first drive.

I've been burnt by this before, so I'd like to restate it:

As of Windows XP, Windows _needs to be on the first drive_. :) I concur
with the method you list above (6c1 through 6c4); that's how I always
did it.

I guess we found a use for GRUB, though, in the ability to remap
drives. :) Maybe I'll have to try it out when I build Gentoo...

-Bryan