[vox-tech] bash environment variables (and KDE)

Micah J. Cowan vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:44:57 -0700

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 11:14:05AM -0700, Bryan Richter wrote:
> Yeah, .bash_profile is read  by a 'login' shell, and .bashrc is read by
> a 'non-login' shell. So, 'bash -l' will read .bash_profile, and 'bash
> shell_script.sh' will read .bashrc. I finally realized that anything
> that I'd want in .bashrc, I'd want in .bash_profile as well, so I call
> .bashrc from .bash_profile, like Mark said.
>
> If KDE doesn't read those environment variables, that seems broken.

I don't know anything about KDE, but why would KDE read anything that
belongs to BASH? The environment variables are not "bash" variables,
they are general environment variables. They ought to go in whatever
init file KDE reads, or possibly the appropriate .xinitrc

--
Micah J. Cowan
micah@cowan.name