[vox-tech] Bash scripting newbie - need syntax help

Micah J. Cowan vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:29:50 -0700

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 12:27:46PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 12:24:14PM -0700, Dave Margolis wrote:
> > great explaination, gracias.  is there ever a chance that the set of
> > information piped off to xargs could become too big?
>
> Nope!  That's the nice thing about xargs.  Notice how you're piping into
> xargs.  It just reads from stdin, and says "okay, I just read 500 items,
> I'll send that list to 'rm'"...  then it reads in more, and calls "rm"
> a second time.  And so on...
>
> 'man xargs' for the gorey details.

according to the man page, the 500 items thing is true only if you use
the -P switch. Which is a good thing: because I wouldn't want that
behavior with, for example, mv.

--
Micah J. Cowan
micah@cowan.name