[vox-tech] burning opencd & venting

Bill Kendrick vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:06:09 -0700

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 09:58:50AM -0700, Jimbo wrote:
> Hello again:
> I have d/l opencd because the graphics on their web site are delightful.

Hehe... Yeah, it's purty.

> Anyway...I tried to open it in windoes before burning it but was unable.

I'm betting a standard Windows system isn't as sophisticated as a typical
Linux box.  As Peter mentioned, an ISO is a big 'image' of what should be
on a CD.  (e.g., once you copy all of the bits in the ISO onto the right
places on the physical Compact Disc, you'll have a disc you can mount and
look at the insides of, or possibly boot directly from.)

Under Linux, you can 'pretend' the ISO is a real physical disc, and mount it
and look inside.  I'm guessing you'd probably need some flakey $40 shareware
to do this under Windows, and it'll have its own GUI that doesn't interact
with any other applications.  >:^)  Hee-hee-hee...

>  Is this a bootable disk?  I don't understand. Do I have to modify this
> .ico file somehow?

(".iso" ;^) )

TheOpenCD is /not/ a bootable disc, like the popular Knoppix disc and
bretheren.  It's a collection of software that a Windows user would pop
into their CD drive and start clicking around to install.
(See also: GNUWinII; a slightly older, much larger collection.)

> I want to add this disk to my brother-in-laws computer that I am
> building as well as check it out myself.

Most excellent.  FYI, I think in both cases of TheOpenCD and GNUWinII,
you can download the programs directly from the websites.  If that'd be
faster, I'd go for that, rather than fiddling with burning a disc, just
to install what you just downloaded and burned.  Kick out the middle-man.
(Err... middle-media?)

> I don't want someone to just give me a disk, I want to learn how to
> do these things myself.

Oohp, ... well, then nevermind what I said above about just downloading
the apps one at a time. :^)

> It would be so easy to get a cd but I like the pleasure of bashing
> my head against my keyboard to see how good it feels when I stop.
> That's why I'm still experimenting with Linux.

Heh, if you happen to have Linux on the same machine as that ISO file
you downloaded, we can probably help you get Linux to burn the disc for
you quicker than we could help with Windows. :^)

See the other thread that's been going on on this list today, regarding
burning a Knoppix disc from a Windows laptop. ;^)

> Got nuthin to do?  Come on over!  I have some ice cold coronas in
> the fridge.  Bring some lime.  My vacation is relaxing but oh so
> boring.  Couldn't take vacation with my wife this year,
> mother-in-law staying with us. Sweet.

Hehehe...  These kinds of comments will no doubt find you a volunteer or 3. :)

-bill!
bill@newbreedsoftware.com        | Even when using industrial beat, Kompressor
http://newbreedsoftware.com/bill | know importance of brushing teeth