[vox-tech] Heretical WinXP Q re: burning Knoppix CD's

Richard Crawford vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 10:28:49 -0700 (PDT)

Rick Moen said:
> Quoting Richard Crawford (rscrawford@mossroot.com):
>
>> I am apparently doing something wrong while trying to burn Knoppix
>> CD's with my Windows XP laptop.
>
> My apologies for my advice of a minute ago being inapplicable:  I was
> reading this thread in reverse-date order, and so hadn't noticed that
> you were asking about a laptop machine.

*grin*  I was wondering about that.  I did seriously try to parse your
advice to make it work in my brain, but I couldn't.

> On a desktop machine, I would have strongly advised someone who had only
> a CDR[W] drive and no regular read-only CD-ROM drive to retrofit one of
> the latter immediately.  Why?  Because CD burner drives of necessity
> must have very heavy read/write arm assemblies, because they must carry
> a burn laser in addition to the standard read head, and also generate
> quite a bit of heat when operating in burn mode.  Therefore, such drives
> have markedly low MTBF figures and should ideally be used only when
> actually burning disks, not for everyday read-only use.
>
> With a laptop that has a CDR or CDRW drive, there will almost certainly
> not be a separate read-only CD drive, nor will it be practical to add
> one.  So, in that sense, you're stuck.
>
> That having been said, in your shoes, I'd still work out some way to do
> my CD-burning from Linux rather than XP, e.g., shrink the NTFS partition
> using a BootIt NG floppy and then install some distro to the space freed
> up -- maybe Knoppix.  Burning CDs from Linux using your front-end
> program of choice (e.g., k3b) is just more reliable and straight-forward
> in my experience.

Did I mention that this laptop has no floppy drive?  ;-)

Seriously, though, my hope was to do this on my laptop, mostly for the
ease of transport factor.  I have something like 70 CD's to burn, and was
hoping I could do it on my laptop so that I could do it downstairs while
watching TV, that sort of thing.  :D

--
Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)