[vox-tech] Heretical WinXP Q re: burning Knoppix CD's

Foo Lim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:38:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Richard Crawford wrote:

> I am apparently doing something wrong while trying to burn Knoppix CD's
> with my Windows XP laptop.  I had assumed that I would just download the
> .iso file onto my hard drive, insert a blank CD into my CD-ROM drive, then
> copy the file from the hard drive to the blank CD using WinXP's native CD
> writing software.
>
> This doesn't seem to be working though.  The CD I create doesn't boot my
> computer into Knoppix.  I've checked the BIOS on my computer to ensure
> that it is bootable from CD-ROM, but it's still not working out.
>
> Any thoughts on what I might be missing?

Hi Richard,

I don't know very much about XP's native CD writing software, but iso
files are images that encapsulate not only files but filesystem
information.  I've had experience with Nero for Windows.  In that program,
you would need to use the 'Burn image' option (IIRC).  If you have Linux,
you can use cdrecord to burn the image.

HTH,
Foo