[vox-tech] oracle -> MySQL conversion

Edward Elliott vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:35:25 -0800

You're right MySQL is worthy of strong consideration. Their US headquarters are here in Palo Alto and I think you'll find it to be a great choice. I started my career in the database business over twenty years ago and have worked as a database tech, field service for a major database vendor, and then managed database departments for the last 15 years.  While the Postgre project has some fantastic technology, it's clear to me that MySQL is far and away the market leader for the open source segment of the database field. More importantly, I'm very impressed with their management team and their underlying technology. I've spent time with the CEO, VP of Marketing, and the CTO. These are very sharp people and I think they have the best commercial business model in the open source.

On the technology side, the next release is in alpha and offers stored procedure support along with many goodies.I've built a number of reporting and data warehousing systems and stored procedures are useful, but in no way are they a requirement. MySQL is also just introducing clustering support. From what I can MySQL is moving rapidbly to become the standard for open source database. I know Rich Nigro in their Palo Alto office. If you would like an introduction to discuss the pros and cons with the vendor, please let me know and I'd be glad to introduce you. They would love to hear about a win away from Oracle and might even offer some help.

Ed Elliott
----- Original Message -----
From: dylan@iici.no-ip.org
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 05:02:03 -0700 (PDT)
To: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Subject: [vox-tech] oracle -> MySQL conversion

Re: hi!
Re:
Re: we have a huge (50+ GB) Oracle database that is used for pesticide
Re: reporting data in the state of california. all updates are delivered to us
Re: in the form of 'oracle database dumps' (not exactly sure what that
Re: mean...). all of the queries are usually quite simple, no use of
Re: triggers/subselects/[other questionably supported features]... and finally
Re: we are low on funds ,and cannot afford to pay for the new oracle
Re: license...
Re:
Re: we are looking at converting our operations to MySQL, or any other open
Re: source RDBMS...
Re:
Re: here are some questions:
Re: 1. are there any tools out there that can facilitate the conversion of
Re: oracle tables into mysql tables?
Re: 2. is there any way to convert queries written for oracle into a format
Re: that mysql will accept (besides the long hand way)
Re: 3. would mysql be suitible for a database this size?
Re: 4. would there be any way to convert these 'oracle db dumps' for input
Re: into the new mysql DB?
Re:
Re: i know these are very open-ended questions, but we are just looking for
Re: some ideas right now...
Re:
Re: thanks in advance!
Re: