[vox-tech] oracle -> MySQL conversion

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 05:02:03 -0700 (PDT)

hi!

we have a huge (50+ GB) Oracle database that is used for pesticide
reporting data in the state of california. all updates are delivered to us
in the form of 'oracle database dumps' (not exactly sure what that
mean...). all of the queries are usually quite simple, no use of
triggers/subselects/[other questionably supported features]... and finally
we are low on funds ,and cannot afford to pay for the new oracle
license...

we are looking at converting our operations to MySQL, or any other open
source RDBMS...

here are some questions:
1. are there any tools out there that can facilitate the conversion of
oracle tables into mysql tables?
2. is there any way to convert queries written for oracle into a format
that mysql will accept (besides the long hand way)
3. would mysql be suitible for a database this size?
4. would there be any way to convert these 'oracle db dumps' for input
into the new mysql DB?

i know these are very open-ended questions, but we are just looking for
some ideas right now...

thanks in advance!

Dylan