[vox-tech] floppy madness

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 10:21:21 -0700 (PDT)

Interestingly, self-extracting zip files *will* unzip using a standard
unzip program.  Unzip searches for the zip header, and unzips starting
from the header:

  $ file wiz502xN.exe
  wiz502xN.exe: MS-DOS executable (EXE), OS/2 or MS Windows
  $ unzip wiz502xN.exe
  Archive:  wiz502xN.exe
  Info-ZIP's graphical WiZ archiver, version 5.01, Windows 9x/NT exes ...
     For the latest information about Zip, UnZip and WiZ, visit our web ...
      ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/Info-ZIP.html
     and our principal ftp distribution sites at
      ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/         (code, non-encrypting ...
      ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/infozip/              (encrypting binaries only)
     Rock on.
    inflating: Wiz.exe
    inflating: WizDiff.exe
    inflating: WizEditor.exe
    inflating: WizUtils.dll
    inflating: WizEdit.dll
    inflating: WIZ.HLP
    inflating: wiz.cnt
    inflating: LICENSE
    inflating: WHERE
    inflating: README
    inflating: sfx16.dat
    inflating: sfx32.dat
    inflating: HISTORY.502
  $

Anyway, DOS is not Windows and Windows is not DOS.  Windows does run on
top of DOS, but it overwrites most of DOS when it runs, like Loadlin runs
Linux on top of DOS but overwrites pretty much all of DOS.  Writing
bootloaders is a pain in the arse, so Windows just runs on top of DOS to
make things easier.  It's a Microsoft's shotcut to writing bootloaders.
DOS 7 (comes with Win95) and later has some extra features that DOS 6
doesn't, but only to support the booting and interfacing with Windows.
And as far as programs are concerned, DOS is just DOS, not Windows.

Also, if you just want to recognize big hard drives, you can use
open-source BIOSes:

   http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/

I used that to make my old P166 (Gabriel) boot off of a CD and recognize a
big hard drive.  It runs from the hard drive (somewhere near the MBR I
gather), so there's no mobo issues or anything.  You just have to get the
code on the hard drive to run, and you can do that by making BIOS think
the hard drive is some small hard drive by setting the geometry manually.
You can also use a small hard drive as the master and boot off of that,
and set the slave hard drive to "none".

The installer runs from DOS, Windows, or Linux.

Sorry I didn't mention this earlier...!

-Mark