[vox-tech] remove / break html/mime content with exim

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 00:06:28 -0700 (PDT)

> on Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 06:38:22PM -0700, dylan (dylan@iici.no-ip.org)
> wrote:
>> on a side note, i am certainly open to suggestions for a better email
>> client. i have tried everything i can think of for classic macos, but
>> none have been able to handle multi-byte charactersets properly.

If you have a *NIX server providing mail (or even a Windows Server if you
must) and can install PHP with a webserver then you can try out
SquirrelMail.

I have shifted over to use SM as my primary e-mail client, and if you
build PHP properly, and configure SM properly, you can get MB-character
support and rely upon web-browser's ability. I have users who are
Japanese, Korean, Danish, from Kazahkstahn, and several other countries
who are able to read mail from my server over a web-based interface. Also,
composition of e-mail relies upon the I/O of the web browser itself, and
many support multibyte character encoding for web page submissions. If you
add support for SSL, then you can gain the advantage of encrypted
authentication and sessions.

The only reason I have to go back to use mutt anymore is to read encrypted
or verify gpg signed messages. (There is a gpg/pgp plugin for SquirrelMail
which allows for encrypting messages being sent to others, and verifying
of sigs for messages sent to you, the support it has for reading encrypted
messages sent to you or signing your own messages is not suggested for use
due to how this can break trust in the way that the passphrase for your
key is made available on the server.)

SquirrelMail is a php-based mail client system which can run on a web
server, and is meant to work with IMAP servers for mail storage.

I was thinking about offering to do a presentation on SquirrelMail for
LUGOD over this summer, but I have no way to get there from here.
(NorthBay)

-ME