[vox-tech] Debian help: font problems

Ken Herron vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 24 Apr 2004 12:19:49 -0700

--On Saturday, April 24, 2004 10:00:09 AM -0700 Peter Jay Salzman
> I have a postscript file, dissertation.ps that, out of the blue, started
> to look ugly when viewed with gs (or gv which uses gs).  The font looks
> thin and spindly.

It looks like the one on the right is antialiased, while the one on the
left isn't. The one on the left may have substituted a lookalike font, as
well. First thing would be to click the "State" button, select "gv
options" and "ghostscript" options, and look to see if antialiasing is
turned on.

gs doesn't read fonts through the X server; it loads them from files. "gs
-h" will print the list of directories it uses to search for fonts. It
may be that debian's gs has some of the X font directories in its search
path. If Mark's computer doesn't have X installed then it probably
doesn't have the directories in question, so gs ends up using fonts from
later directories in the search path.

--
Ken Herron