[vox-tech] monitor troubles

Jonathan McPherson vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:34:51 -0700

Pete,

> eek.
>
> this isn't the whole story.  you can smoke your monitor.  X won't use a
> resolution that needs a higher dot-clock than your video card can
> provide.  it won't use a bit depth that needs more video ram than your
> card can supply.
>
> but lying about HorizSync and VertRefresh can smoke your monitor.  do
> NOT blindly tell X that your monitor can do a vsync of 100 if it can't
> do a vsync of 100.

Jennifer had already established that she was using an LCD monitor.
AFAIK, CRTs are the only ones that you have to worry about frying with
bad h/vsychs.  Therefore, getting the h/vsynch variable out of the mix by
just telling XFree to use a nice, big range for both seemed to be a
decently simplifying thing to do.  Did I make some wrong assumptions?

-jam