[vox-tech] usb hotplug

Troy Arnold vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:30:29 -0700

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 09:34:59AM -0700, Charles McLaughlin wrote:
> When I plug in a usb mouse while my computer is up and running,
> I have to restart my window manager (gnome/gdm) in order to use the mouse.
>
> How can I make the mouse automatically work when I plug it in?
>
> The distro is is debian... am I am missing some package?  Do I need to
> add something to my XFree86 config file?

Here's a snippet from my XF86Config:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Configured Mouse"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option      "CorePointer"
    Option      "Device"        "/dev/psaux"
    Option      "Protocol"      "ImPS/2"
    Option      "ZAxisMapping"      "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Generic Mouse"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option      "SendCoreEvents"    "true"
    Option      "Device"        "/dev/input/mice"
    Option      "Protocol"      "ImPS/2"
    Option      "ZAxisMapping"      "4 5"
EndSection

The first is the definition for my touchpad, the second stanza allows me to
plug in a usb mouse at any time and have it work.  The most important Options
being "SendCoreEvents" and the "Device" line.

To get the '/dev/input/mice' device requires that CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV (under
input core support) be set in your kernel config.  The module is called
'mousedev', and I make sure that it is loaded before starting X.

-troy