[vox-tech] monitor troubles

Wed, 21 Apr 2004 12:45:08 -0700

On Wed 21 Apr 04, 12:21 PM, Jonathan McPherson <@.> said:
> Jennifer,
>
> > Yes it is an LCD monitor.  I tried running xvidtune and got the message
> > "Video are not settable on this chip".  If I check the control center,
> > it says that the screen size is 640x480 and has no other options for
> > it.  How else can I up the resolution?
>
> The first thing I would try is to follow the other poster's suggestion
> and manually edit the configuration file.

actually, the first thing would be to post the video card / video
chipset you're using.  and your monitor.

> However, if that doesn't work, you may be running into the same problem I
> have had with my LCD monitor: XFree believes that you can't support a
> higher resolution because it doesn't have the right specs on your monitor
> and video card.

in tech talk, "EDID" might be failing.  or maybe your monitor is
pre-EDID.  or maybe your video card doesn't know how to query EDID.  or
maybe your using an old version of X that doesn't know EDID.

that's how X learns about your monitor's capabilities.  it has the video
card make an EDID query.  the monitor returns various specs.

> You need to tell xfree that your monitor has a very high range of
> horizontal and vertical synch frequencies, and that your video card has
> at least as much video RAM as it actually does.  XFree will not allow you
> to change to a resolution that it (a) doesn't think your monitor can
> handle or (b) doesn't think you have the video memory to maintain.

eek.

this isn't the whole story.  you can smoke your monitor.  X won't
use a resolution that needs a higher dot-clock than your video card can
provide.  it won't use a bit depth that needs more video ram than your
card can supply.

but lying about HorizSync and VertRefresh can smoke your monitor.  do
NOT blindly tell X that your monitor can do a vsync of 100 if it can't
do a vsync of 100.

take the guess work out of this thread.  please post your hardware.

pete