[vox-tech] xorg X11R6.7.0

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:05:27 -0700

After all the craziness caused by the license change for xfree-4.4, xorg
(part of freedesktop?) has released X11R6.7.0, with much of it based on
xfree-4.4, minus the license change of course.  Read about it here:

http://freedesktop.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/xorg/xc/RELNOTES?rev=1.1.4.2.2.3

The bottom line is that a new X11 is available with a friendly license.
  It already is in gentoo's portage, marked testing for x86 and stable
for amd64.  I installed it simply like this:

#emerge -C xfree
#ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge xorg-x11

I moved my old /etc/X11/XF86Config to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but it will
use XF86Config if xorg.conf is not available.  I also had to install and
configure some fonts, but otherwise all looks comparable to xfree-4.3.

However, I was disappointed to see that dri was still not included for
my video card (S3 twisterk, using the savage driver).  After some
googling (http://linux-sxs.org/guis/DRIS3.html), I downloaded X11 from
the cvs tree.  I just wanted the savage driver from cvs, but I had to
compile the whole thing.  Fortunately, just copying over savage.ko,
savage_drv.o, and savage_dri.so to their appropriate places worked!  I
now have dri using xorg-x11, but with drivers from cvs.

Jonathan