[vox-tech] [non-linux] windows ME PC automatically restarts

Dave Margolis vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 01:22:50 -0700

dylan wrote:

>>Any chance it's an eMachine? I'm not sure about the virus possibility or
>>the IE problem, but I have seen a similar reboot issue a number of
>>times, most often with eMachines. It was usually traced back to a dying
>>power suply.  The one time it wasn't, it had to do with a dead CMOS
>>battery. (My roommate had to put her eMachine on a power strip with a
>>switch... sometimes it would reboot when told to shut down. Other times
>>it would randomly decided to boot back up, anywhere from minutes to
>>hours later.)
>>

>Actually it is a Gateway. They have never had this problem before, and the
>only reason that they *suspect* a virus or something is because 1 day before
>the crazyness started my sister downloaded a bunch of random software... but
>who knows... this is windows that we are talking about ... :)

e-machines was recently swallowed by gateway, so maybe it IS somehow
related!

the answer is me.  that os sucks ass.  put win2k on there and upgrade it
to whatever the most recent service pack is (4 i think); they'll be happy...