[vox-tech] [non-linux] windows ME PC automatically restarts

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 00:23:01 -0700 (PDT)

Yeah, I've heard that before: "I think it's a virus because programs don't
work right."  I say "think Microsoft"... -_-'

To force-shutdown:

   1. Start -> Shut down
   2. Wait until the "waiting to power down" screen comes up.
   3. Press and hold the power button for ~5 seconds.

Microsoft claims this is safe.

To *fix* the problem, upgrade to Windows XP or downgrade to Windows 98.
Windows ME was a piece of crap released before its time just so Microsoft
can release an OS with the word "Millennium" in it.  AMOF, I'm skeptical
of any product released in the late year 2000... it's probably a product
that wasn't tested thoroughly enough and was released just to have "2000"
in its name somewhere.

BTW, the more you unplug it, the more damage you're gonna cause to your
computer.  Someone asked if this is an eMachine computer, right?  That's
kind of funny 'cuz long long time ago this one time my mom unplugged a
computer while I was playing a game, and it destroyed the floppy disk in
the drive (the computers had no hard drives at the time so everything ran
off of the floppy.)  This computer was an Apple II clone made by a company
named Trigem, which [funfact]happens to be the parent company of eMachines
today[/funfact] so... stop unplugging things... especially eMachines
computers... =P

-Mark