[vox-tech] [non-linux] windows ME PC automatically restarts

Rob Rogers vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 01:42:23 -0500

On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 22:48:06PM -0700, dylan wrote:

> i apologize in advance for this windows-related question....
>
> the other day my dad noticed that IE icon was no longer on his desktop
> (windows ME), and all normal efforts to make it come back did not work.
> also, he has noticed that since the IE icon has dissapeared from the desktop
> the machine will no longer shutdown _properly_ ... to elaborate, after
> shutting the machine down the screen goes dark for about 5 minutes, and then
> the machine re-boots and is back in windows again. the only way to turn it
> off is to unplug it.
>
> not using a windows machine, and i am not sure what to say about some people
> claiming that this behavior might be indicative of some kind of virus.

Any chance it's an eMachine? I'm not sure about the virus possibility or
the IE problem, but I have seen a similar reboot issue a number of
times, most often with eMachines. It was usually traced back to a dying
power suply.  The one time it wasn't, it had to do with a dead CMOS
battery. (My roommate had to put her eMachine on a power strip with a
switch... sometimes it would reboot when told to shut down. Other times
it would randomly decided to boot back up, anywhere from minutes to
hours later.)