[vox-tech] installing suse linux 8.1

Rick Moen vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 11 Apr 2004 02:17:33 -0700

Quoting Jimbo (evesautomotive@charter.net):

> Found it.
> It appears that there is some sort of ata/ide config in the bios.  I had to
> set it to "legacy" from the default of  "enhanced".
>
> I found an article almost mirroring my problem but with another OS
> http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-009052.htm
>
> I changed it and presto!  I was able to load my suse on another hard drive.

Very cool, and kudos to Pete for finding that for you.  I'm coming in
late on this thread, but have a Web page devoted to the SATA (Serial ATA)
problem on Linux.  See:  "Serial ATA" on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Hardware .

One thing I'm about to add to it:  The new releases of Knoppix are very
useful in that regard, because they now use 2.6.x installation kernels,
and thus furnish the extremely useful libata SATA driver set.

--
Cheers,                            The box said "Windows 95, Windows NT
Rick Moen                          4.0, or better", so I installed Linux.