[vox-tech] Questions on Using Wine

Ken Bloom vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 9 Apr 2004 08:29:18 -0700

--J/dobhs11T7y2rNN

On 2004.04.09 04:58, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Thu 08 Apr 04, 10:17 PM, Ken Bloom <kabloom@ucdavis.edu> said:
> > Wine is a somewhat difficult program to use - you need to write out a
> > configuarion file that (among other things) maps directories to windows
>=20
> > hard drives, and maps your printers to LPT: ports.
>=20
> ken, i never had to do this.  i guess the factory defaults were good
> enough.  everything seems to just install under ~/Transgaming, which is
> considered to be the C drive.  if i ever wanted a D drive, i'd have to
> fiddle with the config file.  but it ships with good defaults.
>=20
> as for mapping LPT ports, i've never got a printer to work under wine,
> so perhaps i should look into this!
>=20
> > After you finish all of this, then you can run "wine
> c:\\windows\\notepad.
> > exe" or "wine /mnt/windows/windows/notepad.exe" and with a lot of luck
> and
> > prayer you'll see the windows notepad appear on your screen.
>=20
> maybe wine has changed since i last used it (i've been using winex for
> the past couple of years), but all i need to do is:
>=20
> cd ~/Transgaming
> winex windows/notepad.exe
>=20
> and it usually works pretty well.

She's not running winex, and neither am I. Each of us is running the wine =
=20
that is shipped with our respective distributions (mandrake for her, debian=
 =20
for me)

> > Wine doesn't work with all programs reliably, so be forewarned.
>=20
> yes, wine itself doesn't support direct-x.  just enough to get half life
> working.  winex is focusing on direct-x and CD copy protection (which is
> what makes it non-free, since they have to sign NDAs).
>=20
> one very nice use of wine is to run executable flash movies.  works like
> a charm.
>=20
> macromedia is *currently* investigating flash mx support (yeah, the
> creating tool, not the viewer) with wine.  ooooohhhh yeeeeeaaahhhhhhh..
>=20
> > I had my
> > installation of maxplus (which I have to run under WINE) break
> unexpectedly
> > after it had been working well for a month or two. I'm thinking that it
>=20
> > broke around the time I installed linux kernel 2.6, but the symptoms
> don't
> > look like they relate to the kernel at all.
>=20
> that blows.  it's kind hard to tell what causes that.  i assume you
> searched winehq for breakage under 2.6?

Yeah, I couldn't find anything that they didn't claim had already been =20
fixed.

I get "MAX+plus II - System" saying "Internal Error: Invalid window handle =
=20
in max_draw_menu_bar()". I hit OK, then the main window pops up - doesn't =
=20
draw itself, and says "Internal Error: Fatal application error detected"

--=20

--J/dobhs11T7y2rNN

--J/dobhs11T7y2rNN--