[vox-tech] Re: [vox] Let's start our own internet.

Rod Roark vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 04:38:45 -0700

Moving this to vox-tech as it seems like a technical topic...

On Tuesday 06 April 2004 02:35 am, Ryan Castellucci wrote:
> (I apoligize in advance, this will end up a somewhat disorganized braindump)
>
> So, I got this idea this evening...
>
> Let's run point-to-point connections to one another is some sort of organized
> fashion, and make out LANs routable between each other. It would be like our
> own private internet. We start assigning people networks off a 'reserved for
> private use' block such as 10.0.0.0/24 and set up tunnels (or wireless links,
> or point to point T1,s whatever people want, really) Then we start running
> our own DNS servers (with our own TLD), whois, etc.
[snip]

That would be a lot to bite off.

But if you're going to the trouble of tunneling, why not use
the opportunity to try out IPv6?  The IPv6 HOWTO at
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+IPv6-HOWTO/ goes into issues
of tunneling over IPv4.

Incidentally there is an IPv6 Internet, and our friends at
Hurricane Electric seem to be active in supporting tunnels
to it: http://ipv6tb.he.net/.

BTW have there been any LUGOD presentations lately related
to any of this stuff?

-- Rod