[vox-tech] Beer tux

Dave Margolis vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 05 Apr 2004 15:38:13 -0700

I make a 1 pixel high by 8 pixel wide black graphic in the gimp, and
then save it as linux_logo.ppm.  I then compile this replacement graphic
into my kernel using patches at the following site:
http://www.arnor.net/linuxlogo/download.html

This is a little crude and hasn't been updated since 2.4.18, but it
still works (as of a recent 2.4.25 build).  Also, if you don't build
your own kernels, or let Debian handle kernel compilation for you, I'm
not sure how this can be used.

The only other choice is to turn off the framebuffer console (i.e.
vga=normal in /etc/lilo.conf).  This generally works OK on many video
boards/monitors, especially if you spend most of your time in X.

Dave M