[vox-tech] serendipity with vim

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:16:32 -0800 (PST)

I guess I don't really think of a lot of Vim features I use as anything
special since my "wow"-ness with most of the features I use have passed
and have become a part of my everyday life.

Since I mentioned vsplit, I should mention that Vim can show you the diff
between two files using its vsplit function.  Vim can show you the diff
between two files side-by-side, and use its syntax highlighting to show
you which part of the lines are different.  To run it:

   vim -d file1 file2 [file3...]

And the two files will open side-by-side, and the diff between the files
will be hilighted.  You can move between the two files and edit parts of
the file you want changed/updated/etc.  Instead of typing -d, you can also
symlink "vimdiff" to "vim" (or gvimdiff, if you want the graphical
version) to make it run in diff mode automatically.

Another Vim feature I use, which I think is just the awesomest thing I've
never seen anybody else use, is the HTML conversion.  You can open a file
under gvim (but not vim), turn on the syntax highlighting, and generate an
HTML version of the file with syntax highlights from the menu item
[Syntax] -> [Convert to HTML].  It then splits the window with the HTML
code, which you can save to a file.  I've used this in all my
presentations so I don't have to manually generate syntax-highlighted
sourcode on slides.  This works only under gvim, not vim, for some reason;
it might be some GTK feature Vim needs to generate the HTML.

More and more features: I prefer gvim over vim because it plays nicer with
X and colors are better and the menu is sometimes useful and all that good
stuff.  You can copy a highlighted (Ctrl-v) text to the X buffer by
copying the data to the "*" buffer, so you can paste it into another app
via the middle mouse button.  I think this works only under gvim, though:

   "*y       - yanks a line into the * buffer

It's useful mostly if you have a really really large data you don't wanna
copy via the mouse.

-Mark