[vox-tech] Scanning remotely (was: IDE cdrw/dvdrw

Bill Kendrick vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 12:01:57 -0800

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 11:45:33AM -0800, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, how do you scan remotely?

Plain ol' SANE lets me do it.  I think even the HOWTO docs that come in
Linux (Debian, at least) cover it.  Run a "saned" or some-such on the
machine with the scanner, and then just tell your local sane configuration
"go scan over there -->"

So, for example, in Gimp I click "File->Acquire->[whatever the 'scan' one is]"
and then Melissa's hard disk churns a little, and the scanner's light lights
up.

If you want, I can give more specifics (e.g., config examples) tonight
when I get home from work...

-bill!