[vox-tech] Bash question

Mitch Patenaude vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:46:52 -0700

I'm also not sure if I understand what you want, but here's my best
guess.

When invoked "inline" (with a .  at the beginning of a line), I don't
think you can get at the path name, but here are a couple of
alternatives

## .bashrc
export MYAPPHOME=/opt/myapp
. $MYAPPHOME/bin/config

## /opt/myapp/bin/config
echo $MYAPPHOME
pushd $MYAPPHOME
   # whatever
popd

or alternatively:

## .bashrc
export MYAPPCONFIG=/opt/myapp/bin/config
export MYAPPHOME=`/usr/bin/dirname $MYAPCONFIG`/..
. $MYAPPCONFIG

## /opt/myapp/bin/config  is the same...